Friday, January 11, 2008

Acquisition of Vocabulary...for Teachers

Acquisition of Vocabulary is an important content standard for our students. Actually vocabulary growth is also important for teachers. Have you ever heard one of your students say something and you weren’t sure what it meant?

A couple of years Gwen Stefani had a hit song called “Hollarback Girl”. I was making an end of the year video for the students with lots of photos etc. and I want to include some popular songs they would recognize. I was able to find a clean version of the song but was unsure about using it since I wasn’t sure what a “hollarback girl” was. For all I knew it had to with something that a teacher shouldn’t be playing in the classroom.

After consulting the Urban Dictionary, my favorite guide for the vernacular of the students, I learned that a hollarback girl is someone who won’t get in a fight with you…they only yell at you. Sounds safe enough.

It really is a fun and useful site although I think it is for teacher eyes only since the dictionary is user generated and some of the language isn’t appropriate. I recently signed up to receive an email of a new word every day so I can continue to remain as “hip” as I was….when was that….oh yeah, I never was. :) Still fun to read it though.

Yesterday’s term was “blackout”. That is when you turn off all electronic devices to avoid communication with someone.

Urban Dictionary
http://www.urbandictionary.com/

No comments: