Friday, February 27, 2009

Public or Private?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/02/090226093423.htm

I don’t know about you but I am tired of the perception that private is always more rigorous or better.  I’ve worked in a parochial school environment before and always accounted the success of the students to the supportive school environment and engaged parents.  The teachers I worked with were dedicated hardworking individuals that were barely getting paid a living wage, but I always felt something was missing.  Perhaps it was professional development?

A recent study from the University of Illinois might have the answer.  Science Daily reports that public schools are beginning to score higher on NAEP testing that private schools.  The authors of the study suggest that private schools have fallen behind in Professional Development and up to date curriculum.  Another interesting read….

No comments: