Saturday, May 8, 2010

Social Networking....how will education respond?

http://wcbstv.com/technology/facebook.social.networking.2.1662565.html

I'm not sure how all educators and more importantly education leaders (because they get to make the rules) but at least one principal in New Jersey wants nothing to do with social networking and is telling parents to get their kids off of it.

The article says parents are supportive of the principal. I'm not completed surprised by this, but am guessing not all communities would lean that way. Also wondering if the parents are also against social networking or just generally supportive of their child's principal.

Perhaps both.

I'm not saying I am rushing out to get my kids on social tools (they aren't old enough) but I do realize it is something I want to teach them to use responsibly. It doesn't appear to be going away. If you can't beat it...at least educate the heck out of it!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Definitely important. My kids (11 and 9) are allowed to Google chat at the table, and yes, I peruse what's being said. Twice I've had to have my son, 11, tell a friend, "sorry for using language like that"-he typed what rhymes with slap. And once I phoned a parent while her daughter was chatting with my daughter and asked him to take a look at what his daughter had put in writing. The father was very glad that I brought something to his attention, and made the laptop in the family room rule.

But by and large, their conversations have been school-related, project-oriented and productive. They see me using social tools for teaching and collaboration, and I let them know what I'm working on and how I'm doing it. I'll let them on facebook when they are old enough and I'll make sure that they know I'm following up.

tech guy said...

Andrea-
I really had to think of what rhymed with "slap". :) I think I know and have to say I hear that one at school all the time. :(

Our kids computer is also within public viewing of the family. My oldest is a 5th grader hasn't been bitten by the chat or even phone bug yet. In some ways he might be missing out, but in other ways I think it is a blessing.

Mark