Sunday, May 8, 2011

Less School, More Learning

This one will have to be a short post....as it is late....I need to finish plans....and I am tired but I was so bummed out when I read the words.

Each year I teach grade 5 students how to gather data and then create their own graphs.  I like them to have data relevant to them with which to work on the project.

Tonight I'm downloading the survey results and putting the raw count of each question into separate files for the different students.

My final question was "What is your best idea for improving this school?"  Of course there were the silly answers such as no school at all, gym all day, etc.  And quite a few noble ideas such as we need to recycle more, we need to raise money for needy children, etc.  

And then I saw it.  Less School--More Learning.  I've checked my class lists and although I have close to 500 students none of them are named Alfie Kohn.  I was sad that a ten year old has already discovered that school and learning aren't always the same thing.  Sad that this student likes learning and finds that school gets in the way.  I want to talk to this student and get more information from them to get background on their little gem of a line.  However, although I suppose I could re-pull the data from the server and see whose response it is I simply won't do it.  I promised it would be an anonymous survey and I will keep it that way.

In the meantime, I need to make sure I have more learning in my classes and less school.  More discovery less regimentation.  More aha moments and less linear lessons.

Thank you anonymous student for the reminder.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are in parallel mind-blog space ;)