Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Digital Disconnect

Since I'm on record as liking the EdTech plan released a few weeks ago I thought I would voice just one of the concerns I have with it.  I'm not sure the people in the ed tech section of the building are speaking with the people in the accountability and testing department.

The EdTech plan is a radical departure from the sit and get, test and punish policies that are NCLB.  However, we now have a new EdTech plan and NCLB in place.  The two simply do not relate.

I understand NCLB will be revamped or changed in at least some way but my guess is that we will still test mostly lower level factual/content area knowledge.  And because this is what teachers are accountable for why will they teach with the techniques described in the EdTech plan.  There is no enforcement of that plan....so why do if you can spend one more day getting ready for the test.  The test has become the curriculum.

Earlier this week I saw a sheet in the copy room with the lyrics to a song I can only the children will be singing as test prep since next week is the BIG week.  The song was about RSQ (restate the question).  RSQ is a test taking strategy that reminds kids to write in complete sentences by including most of the text of the original question.

RSQ=21st Century.....I don't think so.

http://www.eschoolnews.com/2010/04/13/educators-reflect-on-national-ed-tech-plan/?




image from http://bluefinch.ca/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Head_Scratch_Final_2.jpg

No comments: