Friday, November 16, 2007

Ohio Treasure Chest of Resources

The Ohio Treasure Chest bills itself as “an online collection of thousands of websites which are high-quality, teacher-reviewed, interactive, and free. Each website is aligned directly to the Ohio Academic Content Standards in math, science, language arts, and social studies, and ready for use in your classroom.”

This site is maintained by Eric Curts of North Canton City Schools, home of the Vikings. I cannot imagine the number of hours Mr. Curts has put into this website over the years, but what a valuable resource for teachers.

What really works about this resources (besides its depth) is the way that it is organized. Mr. Curts has listed the indicators for each content area by grade level and then matched his websites to indicators. So if I am looking for a web activity to help me teach writing to 4th graders (specifically organizational strategies) I have 3 different sites that can help my students learn this indicator. What a great resource to have when you are looking for some resources to help teach a specific indicator. There is always Google….but why not start at the treasure chest first…Mr. Curts may have already done the work for you.

http://www.ohiotreasurechest.org/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is AWESOME. I can't wait to use it. I usually take a chance with google, but inevitably end up changing the lesson to make it more applicable. I will probably still do that, but at least I know these are more tailored to the Ohio Standards.

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is so easy to use! I had not come across this site before. Many of the lessons include on-line interactive quizzes. I look forwarded to exploring this and seeing what links will fit best my students. -Jen