Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Google for tech support!

You have to love Google. Yes, the company is great. Thank you Google for all the great stuff you make available. But what I was referring to was good old fashioned Google searching.

So many monitors have better resolution these days and I figured I should widen my blog so that objects I embed don't have to be so small. I knew this involved editing my Blogger template and the prospect of that was slightly better than changing the registry on my machine. Both are places I just try not to touch.

I figured I would give it a try anyways. With the brute force of Google I was able to find how to widen my blog appearance...making better use of most screens. That a created a new issue as one column of blog bumped right up against another column in my blog. Once again....thank you Google and thank you bloggers who post about this very thing.

Finally I realized that the line spacing of my posts were messed up which frankly made them somewhat hard to read. Not sure when that happened...it may have happened tonight when I was tinkering. But once again Google connected me to the right teacher to learn how to do this.

I took everyone's suggestion and backed up my template before completely breaking it so I would have something to fail back on. Blogger even allowed me to preview the changes to the template in a new window to see the impact of the changes. So I was able to have one window with the old blog appearance and another window with the new blog appearance. Once I was able to visually verify that the change worked all I had to do was save the template.

No comments: